Sunday, February 5, 2012

Feeding Tube Awareness Week 2012


In honor of our 1st year to participate in the annual Feeding Tube Awareness Week, each day I will be posting a topic and answer. :) <3 *Why awareness is important to my family - What would be different for me/my child if tube feeding was better understood?

Awareness is very important our family in regards to Isabella. We want people to understand her and if they have questions to ask. My biggest pet peeve is when people assume her diagnosis. I also believe that in order to gain awareness you have to be open with everyone. I don't hide Isabella's feeding pump, if she's hungry, she eats. I've had people stare, most ask and some pretend not to see it. It's an everyday part of our life that we must embrace. I love explaining how a feeding pump works, especially to kiddos. It's so neat seeing their faces when they realize how it works. Isabella received her g-tube the end of June 2011. This past month she ended up in the hospital unable to tolerate feeds, that's when we came to the decision that the G-J would be the best for her. Since the original placement she has gained weight and thrived. She no longer has to use so much energy to eat. We still give her food in her mouth and she loves tasting everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment